The Links, Incorporated
The Links, Incorporated is an international, not-for-profit corporation, established in 1946. The membership consists of nearly 14,000 professional women of color in 282 chapters located in 41 states, the District of Colombia and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. It is one of the nation’s oldest and largest volunteer service organizations of extraordinary women who are committed to enriching, sustaining and ensuring the culture and economic survival of African Americans and other persons of African ancestry.
The members of The Links are influential decision makers and opinion leaders. The Links has attracted many distinguished women who are individual achievers and have made a difference in their communities and the world. They are business and civic leaders, role models, mentors, activists, and volunteers who work towards a common vision by engaging like-minded organizations and individuals for partnership. Links members contribute more than 500,000 documented hours of community service annually – strengthening their communities and enhancing the nation. The organization is the recipient of awards from the UN Association of New York and the Leon H. Sullivan Foundation for its premier programs.
The outstanding programming of The Links has five facets: Services to Youth, The Arts, National Trends and Services, International Trends and Services, and Health and Human Services. The programs are implemented through strategies such as public information and education, economic development, and public policy campaigns.
To learn more about The Links, Incorporated visit linksinc.org.
The Charleston-Institute Chapter of The Links, Incorporated was established May 12, 1951. It was organized by a committee of five ladies: Links Julia Y. Hawkins, Gladys B. Johnson, Ruth S. Norman, Thelma S. Gregory and Grace I. Woodson. This committee extended invitations to seven outstanding women of the community. The installation of the chapter by Link Claudine Lewis occurred May 12, 1951. Chapter members, including the organizing members were: Links Thelma B. Calloway, Helen Clement, Mary Gee Gray, Darlene Harvey, India Jennings, Helen J. Lonesome, and Maude Peters.
The Central Area of The Links, Incorporated
The Links, Incorporated is organized into four areas: Eastern, Central, Southern and Western. The Charleston-Institute(WV) Chapter is a part of the Central Area of The Links, Incorporated. Comprised of 70 chapters in 15 states, the Central Area of The Links, Incorporated burgeoned in 1950 with a proliferation of chapters. Imbued with the spirit of our beloved founders, Links Margaret Hawkins and Sarah Scott, Central Area chapters came together in friendship, and with a true commitment to service.
Central Area programs keep members informed, empowered, inspired and engaged. Individually and collectively, we have the expertise and the commitment to implement transformational change by making a positive difference through impactful ways which will galvanize our many communities. We understand that it is incumbent upon us not simply to abide by our shared values but to put them into compassionate practice.
For more information about our the Central Area go to centralarealinks.org.
Charleston-Institute History (WV) Chapter
The Charleston-Institute (WV) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated
It is very important to recognize from the onset that it is our abiding friendship and program enthusiasm that has been the bedrock upon which our Chapter has thrived through more than seven challenging decades.
The Charleston-Institute Chapter of the Links, Inc. was established May 12, 1951. It was organized by a committee of five ladies: Links Julia Y. Hawkins, Gladys B. Johnson, Ruth S. Norman, Thelma S. Gregory and Grace I. Woodson. This committee extended invitations to seven outstanding women of the community. The installation of chapters by Link Claudine Lewis occurred May 12, 1951. Chapter members, including the organizing members were: Links Thelma B. Calloway, Helen Clement, Mary Gee Gray, Darlene Harvey, India Jennings, Helen J. Lonesome and Maude Peters. Link Harvey transferred to the Los Angeles Chapter. Link Clement transferred to the Detroit Chapter upon retirement of Connecting Link Professor Fred Clement from West Virginia State College.
The next several waves of members in the Chapter’s expansion included: Links Ruth Elaine Broadnax, Laura J. Brown, Charlene H. Byre, India W. Harris, Eunice S. Moore, Elizabeth Nelson (Mother of our alumnae Link Barbara Nelson Carroll), Ruth B. Newsom, Della B. Taylor Hardman and Constance “Dit” Davis Welch. These members were followed by Links Mildred Bateman, MD., Mildred T. Holt, Lucia B. James and Beatryce Mickey who were followed by Links Deborah B. Billups, Gloria G. Carper and Lucy M. McNeil.
Compiled by Link Ruth Mildred Holt.